Logical®

Inactive asf Staff

Should Something be Done to them?  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Should inactive staff be dealt with?

I think it's pretty unusual that members of the staff team can stay inactive for however long they want and keep their powers. They have been gone with no want to come back for whatever reason. Obviously there are some people who have their reasons to stay staff because they will come back but other than that it really only shows a false hope for players in the discord seeking help, they see so many staff on discord and try and ask in help-me and nothing to come of it. I just don't see the benefits of having so many staff but some of them never even wanting to play. Some pretty good examples of them would be Fearful, Yimo, and maybe Skill. 

• Like 1

On the topic of this, I do plan on eventually coming back and doing stuff at some point. In my current situation I usually don't find myself getting home until around 8:00pm most nights (due to work, after school clubs, etc.) and then have to do homework, which helps to result in my lack of activity.  I was planning on making time this weekend to get on and staff though, as I also have an event I plan on running that I need to make an area for. Overall, I would like to spend more time on the server doing cool stuff, but find I usually just don't have the time nor the energy to get on. 

• Like 2

i can agree

but staff can be active in certain ways without playing the game

some got some real life stuff to handle and they will eventually return

• Like 2

I believe most inactive staff are talked to about their inactivity, unless I was the exception. One better thing to do would be to just make an “on break” role to avoid false hope.

I don’t see a very convincing reason why it’s a bad thing though besides this weird “false hope” point you made. I feel like any potential pros of having inactive staff outweigh the cons unless there’s some downside(s) I’m missing

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Kodey ? said:

I believe most inactive staff are talked to about their inactivity, unless I was the exception. One better thing to do would be to just make an “on break” role to avoid false hope.

9 hours ago, Proper said:

I don’t see a very convincing reason why it’s a bad thing though besides this weird “false hope” point you made. I feel like any potential pros of having inactive staff outweigh the cons unless there’s some downside(s) I’m missing

What are the pros of making the staff team look bigger than what it is? Then people realize “Oh half of these people never get on anyways” like why is that a good thing at all?

11 hours ago, 333AKUMA said:

i can agree

but staff can be active in certain ways without playing the game

some got some real life stuff to handle and they will eventually return

I understand people have real life stuff but if it comes to a point that you aren’t active for over 6 months just resign at that point. Also being active out of game is not the reason they are staff, they became staff to help the in game server not to be a discord staff.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Proper said:

The downsides are that the rules and server are constantly changing. When inactive staff come back they have no idea what they’re doing what updates rules are or what has changed. For example brumskee and skill came back after a long time of inactivity and both were having problems with wrongly enforcing rules that had changed. I like brumskee and obviously it’s not his fault because he wasn’t aware the rules changed but it’s the upper managements fault for letting it happen. 

I think Skill has been mod for like 6+ months and the last time he’s been on the server was probably 4 months ago for 3 days. He goes inactive for many months, comes back for 3 days then repeats. Because of this he has no idea what he’s doing as a staff member whenever he comes back and many many people complain about him. Still staff though...

thats just to answer your question on how it could be harmful.

• Like 3

Inactive = useless

Really is as simple as that, and I could care less if you post on the forums or active in Discord. Do what you volunteered to do or step down. Damn cowards are too afraid to lose a position on a GMOD server.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1
  • Love 2
  • Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, The Judicator said:

Inactive = useless

Really is as simple as that, and I could care less if you post on the forums or active in Discord. Do what you volunteered to do or step down. Damn cowards are too afraid to lose a position on a GMOD server.

judicator kinda right tho

4 hours ago, Dildozer♔ said:

The downsides are that the rules and server are constantly changing. When inactive staff come back they have no idea what they’re doing what updates rules are or what has changed. For example brumskee and skill came back after a long time of inactivity and both were having problems with wrongly enforcing rules that had changed. I like brumskee and obviously it’s not his fault because he wasn’t aware the rules changed but it’s the upper managements fault for letting it happen. 

I think Skill has been mod for like 6+ months and the last time he’s been on the server was probably 4 months ago for 3 days. He goes inactive for many months, comes back for 3 days then repeats. Because of this he has no idea what he’s doing as a staff member whenever he comes back and many many people complain about him. Still staff though...

thats just to answer your question on how it could be harmful.

This is a good example, and a much better example than “the staff team looks big and is not”.

i think a good way to resolve this while also coming to a compromise, if the admins are interested, is implementing an “inactive” status. A staff member could be considered inactive if they do not meet a certain amount of played time during a set period (example: 5 hours per month; one day of activity per 2 weeks; etc.) and they will need to meet with a senior admin to be reinstated as active staff. Inactive staff could potentially temporarily lose their position until this meeting, or a new rank of “inactive staff” could be implemented or something similar. This is a very vague/general idea that can and should be adjusted to be more fitting to Ret, but I think it’s worth considering if we can’t come to an agreement another way.

Edited by Proper

17 minutes ago, Proper said:

This is a good example, and a much better example than “the staff team looks big and is not”.

i think a good way to resolve this while also coming to a compromise, if the admins are interested, is implementing an “inactive” status. A staff member could be considered inactive if they do not meet a certain amount of played time during a set period (example: 5 hours per month; one day of activity per 2 weeks; etc.) and they will need to meet with a senior admin to be reinstated as active staff. Inactive staff could potentially temporarily lose their position until this meeting, or a new rank of “inactive staff” could be implemented or something similar. This is a very vague/general idea that can and should be adjusted to be more fitting to Ret, but I think it’s worth considering if we can’t come to an agreement another way.

I get what you're going for but I think it's a lot simpler to just demote inactive and have that person reapply when they decide they wanna be active again. Having people go 6+ months without touching the server once and coming back as admin isn't functional for a server imo.

7 minutes ago, Dildozer♔ said:

I get what you're going for but I think it's a lot simpler to just demote inactive and have that person reapply when they decide they wanna be active again. Having people go 6+ months without touching the server once and coming back as admin isn't functional for a server imo.

It means we have more staff available if need be, and I think even if they DO need a brush up on shit, it’s better than not having enough staff and possibly having to lower our standards for staff we accept. If someone wants to be staff and aren’t horrendous staff I don’t see why we should deny them that opportunity.

On 2/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, Logical® said:

I think it's pretty unusual that members of the staff team can stay inactive for however long they want and keep their powers. They have been gone with no want to come back for whatever reason. Obviously there are some people who have their reasons to stay staff because they will come back but other than that it really only shows a false hope for players in the discord seeking help, they see so many staff on discord and try and ask in help-me and nothing to come of it. I just don't see the benefits of having so many staff but some of them never even wanting to play. Some pretty good examples of them would be Fearful, Yimo, and maybe Skill. 

Logical, this may be one of the few times I can agree with you due to you making a valid point - there are a lot of staff who are inactive, and very seldom do they get on. There are a select few who do get on daily, but they have a more strict schedule than some others that keep them from getting on earlier in the day. Inactive staff should be dealt with, and sometimes it makes me a little fearful of what may happen if an older staff member gets on and has bad intentions.